The Value of COMMUNITY
Matthew 18:20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
TOGETHER IN COMMUNITY
Acts 2:1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.
God bought His very Spirit into COMMUNITY
God so values COMMUNITY that the introduction of His Spirit on earth happened
COMMUNION IN COMMUNITY
1 Corinthians 11
- Jesus, the night of his betrayal, took bread.
- Gave thanks, he broke it / This is my body, broken for you. Do this to remember me.
- This cup is my blood, my new covenant with you. Each time you drink this cup, remember me.
- Each time you do this, you reenact my death.
- You will be drawn back to this meal again and again until the Master returns. You must never let familiarity breed contempt.
God so values COMMUNITY that the “retelling” of the message through Communion (“The Lord’s Supper”)
originated and continues IN COMMUNITY
WORSHIP IN COMMUNITY
1 Corinthians 14:26 When you gather for worship, each one of you be prepared with something that will be useful for all for the building up of the church.
God so values COMMUNITY that our spiritual development and maturity largely happens IN COMMUNITY
WITH GOD IN COMMUNITY
Revelation 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.
- 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes.
- There will be no more death’ or mourning
- No more crying or pain,
…for the old order of things has passed away.”
God so values COMMUNITY that in the fulfillment of all that is to come God will be with us IN COMMUNITY
- Let us not neglect our church meetings.
- Let us outdo each other in being helpful and kind to each other and in doing good.
- Let us encourage each other.
1 Peter 1
Love one another deeply, from the heart.
Where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” Matthew 18:20
Pastor Dan Burchett ~ Open Door ~ January 19, 2014
ODM website: opendoorlongbeach.org