Mindful Worship (Intentional, On Purpose)
Experiencing God Within—Expressing God Without
Living Life In The Spirit
Fueled By Light / Reflecting God
Even belief in God is only a poor substitute for the living reality of God manifesting every moment of your life. —ECKHART TOLLE
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. —JESUS
Life In the Spirit Not For The Body
Nicodemus to Jesus… “I know you have come from God…”
Jesus… “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.” (John 3:5-6)
- The Spirit, gives birth to Spiritual life within ushering us into “The Kingdom of God” presently (not when we die).
- “A narrow road and only a few find it”
The Kingdom First
Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?” … 31-34 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat, drink or wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Face God (And Leave The Rest To God)
- Because the life of the Spirit within is far more important, Jesus teaches followers to leave the concerns of our bodies to God.
- God (Spirit) will always permit what is best for your spiritual life
- Which is why some of our prayers go unanswered.
Think Of It This Way…
God (Spirit) & me (body & mind)
- Working together
- My body & mind relying on Spirit
FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF MY SOUL
…Transforming my life
…Nurturing God-life in me
(This is the only part of ‘you’ that will survive your bodily demise.)
What Is Being Developed In Me
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit (evidence) of the Spirit is…
- Love (undisguised, authentic affection for others)
- Joy (exuberance about life)
- Peace (serenity)
- Forbearance (a willingness to stick with things)
- Kindness (a sense of compassion in the heart)
- Goodness (a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people)
- Faithfulness (involved in loyal commitments)
- Gentleness (not needing to force our way in life)
- Self-control (able to marshal and direct our energies wisely)
Against such things there is no law. (Legalism is helpless in bringing this about)
Galatians 5:24 For those who belong to Christ, everything connected with getting our own way and mindlessly responding to what everyone else calls necessities is killed off for good—crucified.
- Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (Let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives.)
Choose To Be “The Few”
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. – JESUS
Pastor Dan Burchett ~ Open Door ~ June 12, 2016
ODM website: opendoorlongbeach.org