The Road To Resurrection
Matthew 20:19 On the third day he will be raised to life!”
A Brief History
- God’s Promise to Abraham & Sarah, Isaac
- Isaac has twin sons, Jacob and Esau
- Jacob’s marries Rachel & Leah producing 12 sons
- One of Jacob’s sons, Joseph, is sold into slavery by his brothers (Egypt)
- Through Joseph God preserves the lives of all of his family and Egypt in a severe drought
- Joseph’s family relocates to Egypt
- This eventually results in 400 years of slavery
Goodbye to Egypt & Slavery
Through a series of plagues the Egyptian Pharaoh frees the descendants of Jacob
- The Plague on the Firstborn
- Israel is spared
- A lamb is killed and roasted for the “Passover” meal.
- The blood of this lamb is posted on the tops and sides of the door frames (Israel).
- When the Angel passes over, all homes with the lamb’s blood will be spared.
The Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread
Exodus 12:1 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt, 2 “This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year. 3 Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lamb for his family, one for each household. 5 The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect.
Fast forward approximately 1475 years…the tradition carries on as Jesus begins ministry.
Jesus Anointed at Bethany
Mark 14 The Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread were only two days away, and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were scheming to arrest Jesus secretly and kill him. “But not during the festival,” they said, “or the people may riot.” (vs. 1-2)
In Bethany, at the home of Simon the Leper a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, broke the jar and poured the perfume on the head of Jesus. (vs. 3)
Masking Darkened Hearts
Mark 14 …Some were indignant, “Why this waste? It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages and the money given to the poor. And they rebuked her harshly. (vs. 4-5)
Jesus Defends Her
- 6 “Leave her alone,” She has done a beautiful thing
- 7 The poor will always be present
- You will not always have me
- 8 Her act is preparation for my burial
Mark 14:10 Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Jesus to them. 11 They were delighted to hear this and promised to give him money. So he watched for an opportunity to hand him over.
The Last Supper
Mark 14 On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus instructs His disciples to prepare the Passover meal. (vs. 12-16)
After the meal…
- “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.”
- Jesus took bread, “Take it; this is my body.”
- Then he took a cup, they all drank from it.
- “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.” (17-24)
The Story Continues…
- Jesus Arrested
- Jesus Before the Sanhedrin
- Peter Disowns Jesus
- Jesus Before Pilate
- Pilate orders Jesus beaten and crucified
- The Soldiers Mock Jesus…A Robe & A Crown for the “King of the Jews”
Oblivious to what was unfolding behind the scenes a man and his two young sons with their Passover lamb was on their way into the city to celebrate and worship for The Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread.
Pastor Dan Burchett ~ Open Door ~ April 5, 2015
ODM website: opendoorlongbeach.org
I AM THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE John 11:25
Bringing Resurrection & Life To Our World
- This is the purpose of God for all creation
- God loved His creation. “It was good” (7)
- This was the pursuit of the Christ on earth
- Redemption from brokenness
- Resurrection from death
- Restoration of our relationship with God
The Struggle of Opposing Forces
1 John 5:19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
The “Coming” of the Good Presence
Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given…And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
This “coming” of Good was for our good. It was the birth of our hope for being rescued from a world controlled by evil.
Light Overcomes Darkness
Matthew 4:16 ”…the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.” [Jesus quoting Isaiah 9] 17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Change your life. God’s kingdom is here.”
Acts Providing Evidence of Light Dispelling the Darkness
Acts 10:38 “…Jesus arrived … He went through the country helping people and healing everyone who was beaten down by the Devil. He was able to do all this because God was with him.”
Live As I Live
Every word, every act of the Christ was to usher in the Kingdom of God to diminish and eventually destroy the control of evil in the world.
- God’s power in us enables us to live as Christ lived…
- To overcome evil
- Promoting restoration
How “Good” Overtakes Evil
Romans 12:20-21 …if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he’s thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don’t let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good (overcome evil with good).
LOVE ~ Absolutely counter intuitive and with radical results
Participating With God for Good
This is how we participate with God in bringing
- … the greatness of God’s rule into the world
- and peace with no end
- establishing and upholding the world with justice [fairness] and righteousness [right living]. Isaiah 9:7
We Can Change The World
- With our hands (what we do)
- With our words (what we say)
- With our presence
We are called to make a difference.
- We have “seen a great light”
- We “change our lives”
- Because “God’s kingdom is here”
Where We’re Headed Revelation 21
- Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth”
- “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people…
- ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes.
- There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain
- For the old order of things has passed away.”
- Behold, I make all things new.
The Apostle Paul Encourages Timothy
1 Timothy 4:7 Stay clear of silly stories that get dressed up as religion. 8 Exercise daily in God—no spiritual flabbiness, please! …9 Take it to heart. This is why we’ve thrown ourselves into this venture so totally. We’re banking on the living God, Savior of all men and women, especially believers.
- God’s purpose is to restore all that was lost.
- You are God’s creation and God calls you good.
- Opposing forces of good and evil are real.
- Light overcomes darkness.
- The Power of God (light) is living in you.
- Overcome evil with generosity and goodness.
- We are the living presence of God in the world.
- We have seen the light – Change your life. God’s Kingdom is here.
Pastor Dan Burchett ~ Open Door ~ April 20, 2014
ODM website: opendoorlongbeach.org